Thursday, September 4, 2008

Catching up AGAIN!! {WARNING! VERY long post!}

I KNOW it is easier to do small posts every few days... but sometimes it is more like "oh, I'll do that tomorrow!" and then tomorrow comes and there is no time again.

It is a common story. Mine is not unique.

I hear that from non-bloggers all the time "I don't have time to blog."
But I look at it as an extension of my scrapbooking.
I blog... I can make my blogging into a book (blurb.com) and so I try to capture those moments I want to remember in picture and print...But I get behind. I am not the only one...

I always marvel at people that blog daily...
I am not that disciplined. Maybe after we move... then move again... then get settled.
Maybe then.

So here we go!!!

Back to School!Gavin entered 2nd grade. How did that happen? WHEN did he get so big??
(Here he is back with "the boys"! It use to be all boys and one girl... the ratio has since improved the last two years!) Gabriel is now in Kindergarten. My baby. In Kindergarten. NO WAY!!!Cora... she went into Kindergarten too... but since she is my middle child-well, Gabriel is just the baby... and the baby is the shocker when it comes to Kindergarten. I think I am just in denial about Cora! LOL! Cora is so stinkin' little (and cute!) that I forget that she is even OLD enough for kindergarten!

The boys are at Heritage Christian School. Cora is at Neil Armstrong still getting services.
Two years in Ukraine, and a cleft palate to boot have made for some challenges. But she is a good little girl and getting it worked out! I LOVE her teacher!!I LOVE Heritage. Yes... I am on the board. So I am a bit biased. But then, I am on the board because I love the school so much. Not only is it Christian, but the education they are getting is heads above the rest. It doesn't help seeing Cora's curriculum next to Gabriel's. I know if you have your child at public school in my area, you might be annoyed by this post. But I can tell you, the small classroom at Heritage, (there are 11 in Gabriel's class) and the way they teach... I can't help but worry about the advatage it gives them... but for now, Cora needs someone equipted to handle her challenges. So I can just pray.

OK, they start caring about the BRANDS they wear as soon as 2nd grade?? I was informed, when we went back to return mis-sized shoes that I bought for Gavin, that "everyone" had Sketchers Z-straps or Airators... huh? I confirmed with the mom (ahem-Amy Brady...) that I thought least likely to fall for this!! And she confirmed... she bought Sam Sketches. Well, Grant's mom endorsed their durability... and OK, so we had different (I am sure uncool) Sketchers last year, and they are indeed still intact for Gabriel to wear....So what would any respectable mother do in this situation? CAVE of course!! :)
Like Amy said. If all they ask for is shoes, hey, we're doing OK. (Pssst-mine asks for Nintendo games too! BUSTED!! :) )

Random...
Sometimes just seeing them together in some innocent moment, gets right to my heart. The Circus...

Yep. We skipped a year, but this year we were back at the circus!!

THANK YOU GRANDPA DON AND GRANDMA DINAH!!(and thank you to my wonderful husband who took pictures while I was still at work!!)

They went to see the animals and the pre-show down on the floor!
They were even included in the pre-show activities! Jerry included! :)
Gavin is always SO eager to volunteer! Whatever it is, he wants to do it! Brave boy! :)
OK, so Jerry was teasing this guy...So he put him to work! (Dad took this one!) Then they all got in on the act!! :)
We were then in the third row!!!
Look close... in that red and white car... it's CANDI andher family (and mom!) :)
(of course the BEST non-blurry picture is when they didn't see me yet! LOL!)

I just LOVE the elephants... It was GREAT!!
It was also Grandpa's first time at a circus! Huh??

It was spectacular as usual!
And the kids had a GREAT time!!

Layouts:
Probably should post some layouts, since I am a scrapbooker. :)
My camera is recharging... but in the meantime...
For Pink Sketches AND The Story Matters!

For The Paper Element and Pink Sketches (see a trend here? :) )
And my layout for the Scrapaganza Blog Challenge (an example).
It is inspired by the ad below... which is the challenge-ad inspiration. :)

It is a very simple layout profiling the new Glitz that we have at Scrapaganza!!
LOVE this "Elemets" line!!
More Randomness...
THIS is what happens when you leave the kids alone with the babysitter. :)
If I recall correctly, Gabriel did this to Cora!Well... Gabriel didn't want to be left out or anything!

So Cora started gymnastics.
I have a confession. I know there is a little olympian in there.
I mean come ON! She IS from Ukraine!
OK, all teasing aside... she is the living example of a God given gift. She taught herself to cartwheel, flips... she hangs with no fear from EVERYTHING-and can do the monkey bars since last year!! She is just amazing-my little monkey.I wanted to wait until I thought she would have a chance at paying attention.
So now she goes once a week to Gymnastics Spectrum.
I watch and listen, and try not to become one of THOSE moms!
But come ON! She's got what it TAKES! :)

I'll keep ya posted on all that! So far, so good! :)

The biggest blessing!!
We are building a house!!
God is good in ways that I can never predict.
It just kinda worked out!
The funny part is that we have to move out of our current home by the end of the month (that isn't the funny part)...
and in the mean time (since the house isn't build yet-see pictures below!) we are going to be living in my in-laws two bedroom one bath home for 3+ months. :)
OK, so they have "rooms" in the basement... some frame and dry walled rooms from Jerry's "studio recording" days...
They have been SO gracious to take us in!
They have been purging and cleaning and getting ready for us.
Adding a commode in the basement. :)
The kids will go in the second bedroom... us in the basement...
It will be an awesome opportunity to save money. Amen to that!

The kids in front of the empty lot!


The posts that mark the sections of the house... that is the front stoop, that square in front of me... The guys are standing on the deck. :) From the back edge of the back yard looking towards our cul-de-sac (below). It is a weird kinda pie shaped lot. Our house is basically the same as the one facing me behind the digger... without the upper porch on the back. And without the third garage... and without the double peak over the garage... and the front door is in a different spot-since we switched where the dining room with the foyer is and made it an office... and it will be a darker gray and white trim-not sure on the shutters-right now they are a charcoal black... and a RED door! I SO want a RED door!! How sharp is that?? If you would tell me I was going to have a gray house, I would have laughed... but the darker gray with white trim is a nice contrast... and I LOVE it with a red door!! :)
I initally wanted the color of the house you can see the side of there behind the guy standing there. But I didn't want the same as the house next door... even with light contrasting corners and trim, I think it would be to "matchy"... most of the houses in the neighborhood are either wheat or that color...
Surveying. The first dig... OK, so it is only for the sewer, since it was due to rain like 6 inches today... so the real digging starts on Monday. Setback #1. :)
This is what gets me the most excited (see below)... a place where my children can ride their bikes! Like I said, we are going to live on a cul-de-sac... and there are sidewalks! I never would have thought I would care or want these things. But for these kids...

I love our floor plan. Open family room is open to above (2 story). Jack and Jill bathroom for the kids with separate shower/"commode". An office (scrap-space) for Jerry and I to share. Walk out basement. It's perfect. And a builder that is doing the floor plan we want in OUR budget! Sure, we won't have a cool master sleeping porch like the house we originally saw had... or the screened room off the family room. And it will be 2 instead of a 3 car garage... that's OK... we didn't over spend for those things, and maybe we can add them someday. Right now, all that matters is the safety and low maintenance!! :)

They say to buy the cheapest house in the best neighborhood. I think we are accomplishing that! :)
Jerry is lovin' the process too. :) YAY!
We are lot #18... the sign fell over. Right there on the end of the court!
I will be blogging this house journey! What a blessing and a privileged to be a part of this process!

WHEW!!! That was LONG!!!
I'll try to keep up! I promise! :)

And I leave off with this...
Scripture.
I have to remember this.
I hope we can all keep this in mind (not just me. :) )
Ephesians 4:29-32
29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

I am aware of the fact that I am flawed.
I sin and I am not perfect.
I do know that I have been making a conscious effort to follow this scripture. God challenges me and tests my resolve regularly. But regardless, no matter how opinionated I am, I never really want to hurt anyone.
And I have to be aware that some people may not always be aware of their affect on me.
Or they are not aware of the importance of the meaning of the above scripture.
A wise friend of mine reminded me some time ago-you don't have to invite yourself to every fight. True.
And I have also learned the power of silence.
And the power of continuing to be the positive, joyful person I truly am. It is contagious. Just as contagious as that other nasty stuff...
I choose joy.

Be Blessed.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cool.

Angela said...

WOW Penny...there's lots going on for you right now! Congrats on the new house! And love all your layouts, as always!!

Anonymous said...

glad to see your post, been missing checking out your blog. And I thought I was busy....lol
Congrats on your future home..nice lot.

Colleen said...

wow, you have been busy. Have fun building your new home. That is something that I would love to do sometime. Just an aside, someday you will want a 3 car garage. I know, we only have a one car garage and I am trying to figure out what we are going to do with the 3rd car starting next spring.

Candi Ladwig said...

Okay, if I commented on everything I was thinking my comment would be as long as your post :) I'll keep it short...
*Love Cora's hair :)
*Glad we saw you at the circus!! Thanks for taking a picture.
*I found your layouts on pinksketches... fun site, great layouts!
*Your lot looks huge! Can't wait to see some actual house. When is the complete date, again? Maybe you can do a countdown thing in your sidebar for that!!

Okay, that wasn't short... and I am sure I forgot something. (OH, Hallie got the Sketcher criss-cross shoes, too!) Now can ya update more often?!?!?

Charlene E. said...

Congrats on the lot and upcoming house build, how cool.
Cora is so cute! Hope she does awesome in Gymnastics.
I don't know how you do it all?
Hope to see you soon at the store.