Friday, August 26, 2011

Color outside of the box (literally).

OK, TODAY I saw this post...
http://megduerksen.typepad.com/whatever/2011/08/you-knew-i-was-going-to-make-one.html

I don't even remember how it is I came across it! She mentioned seeing these crayon canvas all over Pinterest. I didn't even have to go look! I saw hers and I went WILD with the prospect of doing one of these! So much so, I headed out with Cora to go to the store to get supplies before I had to pick up the boys!

So here we go...
I got the big box of 64 ( or is it 68??) ANYWAY, take out the black, brown, silver and white.
Then, go to work making them a rainbow. I did it on the floor so I could make sure it was the right length to fit my canvas.

(CLICK ANY PICTURE TO SEE LARGER-sorry though-the music will restart each time.)
I got these canvas at Walmart. 2 for $7 something.
(I also got smaller canvas boards too. 3 for like $5!)

My Helper!
My not so helpful one (for this project)... but man he's cute! :)
But he made me this, so I forgive him. :)
OK... sorry. Got off track there.

I could NOT find my cordless Imaginisce glue gun! So I used Fabric Tac. I thought it would hold up better to the heat. I bet 3-in-1 would work too. But Fabric Tac dries really fast! I am not a patient person/crafter! :)

OH-and make sure you do some of this, while creating! LOL!
Now this is a picture of the second canvas at this stage. I didn't get one like this of the first time around.
So, even though Meg said a hairdryer, I was a doubter. :) That hairdryer in her the picture could be one of those wallpaper scrapping dryers! But I was wrong. It was just a hairdryer! It REALLY works!!
The papers get soak-y and the crayons start to drip, then run! Now watch how you dryer blows and where in the stream it gets the hottest! If you keep it close and just move it a big, you can get some pretty straight down streams. But move it around willy nilly, and you get some FUN splatters and slashes! Have fun!
...and it doesn't take long to REALLY get the wax thick and running down nicely! Keep in mind, if the canvas is leaning too far back, it won't run as far down! (So if you have a "helper" be sure to keep an eye on the angle.)
So... when I saw the post earlier today, I immediately started to conjure up some ideas! Part of the reason I was so excited about trying it out!
Glitter, and "titles"!

I MIGHT have a few extra of these laying around here... (cough)
Martha Stewart glitter with it's "shaker" tops is PERFECT!!
I decided that the melting crayon would hold letters nicely...
OK, it was a messier prospect than I had considered. But keep in mind, it is easy enough to heat it up and add stuff. (Keep some Q-tips around to remove soft wax when it goes somewhere on a letter you don't want it to!)
Next, I added glitter. The first time, I added it after the fact (sprinkled, then heated to "fix" it). The second time, I threw it in as we were melting.Here is the glitter the best I could capture close up :
(Got some on the actual crayons too!)
In addition, I thought the letters were too darn plain (uhhhh). So I added some glue to the tops and glittered different colors!
Here is the end result!
And here is the title of my second canvas! (Before I added rhinestones and crystals).
(This is going to a fabulous teacher friend of mine! :) Hope ya like it Mrs. D!)
And the full canvas! (Can't get the contrast just right in the picture...)So TRY IT! Inexpensive, and FUN! Think of all the great things you could add too! I want to try to "mask" the letters (place them down, melt, then left them up to they canvas is blank where they were. Not sure if it will work, but hey, it'll be fun to try!)

This is the BEST time to get crayons! Clearance from Back to School sales!!

If you saw this and were inspired to do one, PLEASE link me up! I would love to see!!

9 comments:

Nitasha said...

Oh this is totally awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this funa nd creative idea!

Daisy Girls Old Blog said...

Thanks for sharing!! I Love it!!! :)

Shelley Haganman said...

Wow!! I SO love this project! I am going to lift it girl!! Thanks for inspiration! :)

Marion said...

me too. yours was awesome!

Shewins1 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shewins1 said...

somewhere over the rainbow.... go gay pride!!! Love this tons ~ smooches

Dragonlady said...

What an amazing idea. Thank you for the inspiration.

Hugs Ali x

Sue McRae said...

What a creative project!

Wendy said...

I just tried this and was dissapointed. I used cheap crayons from the doller shop and they went watery. Think I will get the crayola ones. That might be the secret to this simple yet cute idea.